Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Philosophy of Facebook


Today in philosophy class, we talked about my facebook observation... the one where I decided that facebook is a series of unrelated and pointless events lacking any cohesive narrative (no meta-narrative). My students explained that I am just clueless, which is probably true, and that was just my point. My cluelessness is evidence of the fact that I lack the context from which I can gather any significance regarding the events. On this same line of inquiry, and for the same reason, my sister in law said she had read a teenager's facebook entries and could make no sense of them. She had no understanding of the overlying (or underlying) narrative.


We also talked about blogging. One of my students (J) asked a fairly simple question: why would anyone blog? Another student asked what a blog was (J2). We determined that it is all about ego. Somehow, somewhere, the blogger must be saying to him or herself that what I have to say is so important, that it must be put out there for others to read. MJ was right about this (not Michael Jordon)- one must believe what one says is true to want to put it out there for people to read... even if no one else is reading it. At that point they all made fun of me because I told them that even my wife refuses to follow my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment